Friday, May 12, 2006

Letter from Greg Price

Some members have queried the calculations used by Greg to determine the stoppage as wellas the waste of resources - you might also wantto ask hime who the student is who will benefit from our conrtribution !

Dear Greg
Thank you for your recent letter to my home address informing me of the deduction of 1/260th of my annual salary for supporting the recent strike.

Presumably this 1/260 figure is based on 260 working days in one year ( 52 Weeks multiplied by the 5 working days in each week ). If you agree that there are also 52 weekends then the total of weekend days in a year would be 104 ( 52 multiplied by 2 ). Add the 260 working days to the 104 weekend days and the total is 364 days in a year which doesn't look right to me.

Call me old fashioned but I thought that the Earth took 365.25 days to orbit the Sun. This being the case then the long term average number of working days in a year is slightly higher the 260. Using my slightly defective calculator I make it 260.89. Therefore I reckon that payroll ought to be deducting 1/260.89th of my annual salary and not 1/260th. If you agree to these figures could you please instruct payroll to reimburse me the difference in my pay for June. I Make it the princely sum of 44p - payroll may calculate it differently.

How exactly do payroll calculate that there are 260 working days in any one year ?

Regards

No comments: